Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Chapter 1

When Ariel was single, she made the same thing for herself every morning; two eggs, double fiber wheat toast, and three slices of tomato. Sometimes she would assemble these to make a sandwich. Before she met David she was an avid coffee drinker, but in years past he had convinced her of the benefits in drinking green or white tea instead. Whenever she would pass by a coffee shop she would stop and stare longingly inside before walking away.

This morning she prepared hard boiled eggs, sliced avocado, and opened two small containers of yogurt. David walked to the kitchen and put on the kettle.

"Why didn't you come to bed?" she asked.
"I didn't want to wake you." He faced the stove.
"I always want you to wake me."  She put her fingers through his soft black hair and he turned around. He put his arms around her.
"I fear I'm not interesting to you anymore. There's something else that's caught your attention."
She held him tight. "Nothing could divert my thoughts from you."

She watched him tie his tie in the mirror and wrapped her arms around his waist.  "I love you so," she whispered in his ear. "Let's have a baby."
His eyes widened as she saw her expression harden.
"Why?" he said. "We're so young, and only been married three years."
"We're not that young," she sighed. "And we've been together seven years." Her hands left his waist and she walked into the living room. He followed her.
"Haven't I always been good to you?"
"Yes."
"Then why are you doing this?"
"I'm not planning an attack, David. I'm trying to build a family with you."
"I can't do this right now." He grabbed his coat and hat and walked out.